DWARF CAR SPECIAL EVENT; PLUS DIVISIONAL RACING
September 6th, 2014 @ 6 pm
463 Daniel Webster Hwy
North Woodstock, NH 03262
Posted: June 10th, 2005
N WOODSTOCK, NH - Defending ACT Late Model Tour Champion, Jean-Paul Cyr, led a Milton, VT sweep Saturday night at New Hampshire's White Mountain Motorsports Park by winning the Country Pools & Spas 100. Rookie sensation, Scott Payea, was a strong second and Brent Dragon, who was passed by the 23 year-old after the final caution period, was third. Ironically the three drivers are all second-generation racers. A.J. Begin from Merrimac, MA was fourth and Lancaster, New Hampshire's Roger Brown completed the top five. "The 'Plus/Minus' (handicap) system played into our favor tonight," Cyr commented after a team victory huddle with his crew. "And we had a great car. Quite frankly we were a bit embarrassed with the way we ran at Thunder Road (in the May 15 Merchants Bank 150), so we worked hard over the past few weeks to make sure that wouldn't happen again," he finished.
Sophomore competitor, B.J. Piekarski from Nashua, NH started on the pole and led the first 20 circuits. Montpelier, Vermont's Pembroke lined up right behind Piekarski and was able to move under him for the lead when the 2004 Rookie of the Year slid up as the pair exited the fourth turn. But his advantage lasted for just nine laps as Cyr took over on the 30th lap around the quarter-mile semi-banked paved oval. Cyr, who uncharacteristically had a 14th place finishing average entering the ACT Tour's third event of the season had started fourth in the 26-car field. Eight cautions, all for minor incidents keep the field close but no one was able to mount a serious challenge on the leader. His margin of victory was about two car lengths.
"We always like coming to White Mountain," Cyr remarked after clearing the post-race technical inspection, "It's a great track to driver and we've run well here." The Chevrolet driver's statistics at the Granite State oval prove his comments - Saturday's victory was his third consecutive in the Country Pools & Spas 100. Pembroke finished sixth, Eric Williams of Hyde Park, VT crossed the line in seventh after starting 18th, St Denis, Quebec racer, Patrick Laperle was eighth, former ACT Tour Champion, Phil Scott from Montpelier, VT and Turner, Maine's Shawn Martin completed the top ten.
Thirty-seven ACT Late Models, representing all six New England states, New York and the province of Quebec attempted to qualify for the 26 car-starting field with several veterans failing to make then line-up. Among those of note were Joey Laquerre winner in the ACT Tour's August 2004 race at White Mountain and former Thunder Road Late Model Champions Dave Whitcomb and Jamie Fisher.
Pembroke's sixth place finish coupled with a win in his qualifying heat puts him unofficially atop the ACT Late Model Tour's point standings by 24 over Dragon (299-275). Cyr and Payea are tied for third (270) and David Avery, who was 16th in the race completes the top five with 299.
The next event on the ACT Late Model Tour schedule is the Ferguson Waterworks 100 at Canaan Fair Speedway on Sunday, June 26. Post time at the one-third mile oval is 1:30 pm.
The official finish of Saturday's ACT Late Model Tour Country Pools & Spas 100 at White Mountain Motorsports Park showing finishing position (starting position), driver, hometown, car, laps complete and reason out, if any:
1. (4) Jean-Paul Cyr, Milton, VT, Chevrolet, 100
2. (15) Scott Payea, Milton, VT, Forr, 100
3. (8) Brent Dragon, Milton, VT, Dodge, 100
4. (6) AJ Begin, Merrimac, MA, Pontiac, 100
5. (2) Roger Brown, Lancaster, NH, Dodge, 100
6. (3) Dave Pembroke, Montpelier, VT, Chevrolet, 100
7. (17) Eric Williams, Hyde Park, VT, Chevrolet, 100
8. (12) Patrick Laperle, St Denis, Qc, Ford, 100
9. (17) Phil Scott, Montpelier, VT, Ford, 100
10. (22) Shawn Martin, Turner, ME, Chevrolet, 100
11. (7) Mark Durgin, Lynn, MA, Chevrolet, 100
12. (1) B.J. Piekarski, Nashua, NH, Chevrolet, 100
13. (21) Ken Dufour, Bethlehem, NH, Chevrolet, 100
14. (19) Eric Chase, Milton, VT, Dodge, 100
15. (24) Joe Becker, Jeffersonville, VT, Dodge, 100
16. (13) David Avery, Lincoln, NH, Chevrolet, 99
17. (9) Mark Lamberton, Mooers Forks, NY, Chevrolet, 99
18. (5) Cooper MacRitchie, Williamstown, VT, Chevrolet, 99
19. (23) Rich Lowrey, Charlotte, VT, Dodge, 98
20. (10) Pete Fecteau, Morrisville, VT, Pontiac, 97
21. (16) Dan Colby, Lyman, NH, Chevrolet, 91
22. (14) Dave Wilcox, Swanton, VT, Chevrolet, 89
23. (26) Dennis Botticello, Suffield, VT, Chevrolet, 68, Fuel pick-up
24. (25) Trampas Demers, So. Burlington, VT, Chevrolet, 47, Radiator
25. (11) Lew Fortin, Berwick, ME, Chevrolet, 34, Wreck
26. (20) Bill Duggan, Belmont, NH, Chevrolet, 25, Axle
Contact: Marjorie Mulligan Fay 802-244-6963
E-mail: Marjorieatact@aol.com OR Marjorie@acttour.com 802-238-1200/cell
463 Daniel Webster Hwy
North Woodstock, NH 03262